Wednesday 22 May 2013

me and centrelink go way back

so, I quit my job yesterday.

it was actually a little more complex than that might seem; but conversely so very simple....
working for myself, as I do, it's not so much a 'job' I have left.  I have simply relieved myself of the two days work per week I have been  doing in my shop, which I share with two very dear, and very accommodating friends. I have stepped out of the role of shopgirl, which I've filled for the last year and a bit. though, given that it's still a new business, it's not a role which has generated any income for me throughout that time, either. so I haven't actually given up any money by leaving my job.

I have stepped away from any managerial role for the foreseeable future as well. my business partners have so graciously, and gracefully, allowed me the space to put down that weight, so I may work on redistributing, and carrying my other weights with more care and attention....now that's heart centred business in action! thankyou girls.....x

so I have essentially walked away from one of my babies. I love that shop. I love what we three co-created. it's beautiful. and it has served such wonderful purpose for me over the last little while. we envisaged a hub - a place where we could meet friends and strangers, and slow down a minute, sip tea and just chat....the outcome is that i have found such a strong and diverse and nourishing network existing through that space......ah.....I will miss working in town...

ultimately, though, I found that I have been trying to juggle too many balls, and for too long. I have used up all of my reserves of strength and energy. when I  try to dispassionately list my priorities at this time in my life, my children, all three of them, crowd up at the top of the ladder and there is simply no ROOM for anything extraneous. and i think that when something loved becomes a burden, instead of a joyful expression of self, it is time to put that load down and have a rest, before regrouping and carrying on with the rest of it.

i will really miss working regularly, though.

i haven't worked full time for about eighteen years, which is probably why i enjoy working when i do.  in that time, I have worked and parented, studied and parented, worked, while studying and parenting, and just plain parented....but I have always enjoyed the social aspect of working in nimbin. there's a lot of therapy that goes on in our streets - every moment of every day!

right now, though, i'm chasing a different kind of therapy. one that involves an axe, and rounds of wood. also it involves fireside chats with glasses of red wine in hand; bedtime stories with hot water bottles and rosy cheeked children; bad tv in bed with chocolate; soccer games and the skatepark; walks in the forest; aimless weeding; the chatter that only happens whilst collecting kindling with my children; cheeky daytime naps; the brief schoolyard connections at pick up time.....who knows? maybe even baking....oh, and endless cups of tea!





No comments: