Tuesday 22 January 2013

a balanced perspective

in order to maintain a sense of balance (i am a libran, after all) i feel the need to express some gratitude.

today, i arrived home after being away for an eight day stretch.  my house was so tidy. the washing up was done, the rubbish bin was empty, the recycling only had a  couple of bottles in it, the floors were swept and the glass doors shiny.  there was also no rotten food in the fridge.

i've had friends staying for the last month, and though i've barely seen them, they have left an indelible mark on this time of my life.  they have been incredibly sensitive to our needs, preparing food, playing and bushwalking and spending time with my little girls, maintaining my home, dancing and drinking red wine with me, and melting away into the night (to their caravan in the garden) when i needed to be alone. they have been my angels in the garden.

i haven't seen them since i've been home, but they ensured that my home was clean and welcoming for our return.

we went to dinner with friends tonight. the little girls had long hot baths, and we ate food prepared with love, to our dietary specifications. i was plied with red wine and sensitive conversation, and sent home with a bottle of wine and half a block of chocolate, and tired, bathed and well fed children.

whilst in brisbane meeting my daughter's immediate medical needs, i have been staying with her paternal grandparents.  they have opened their home to me and my family.  i am grateful for power and hot water on demand, comfortable beds aplenty, food i haven't had to cook or clean up after and the easy and generous provision of every facility i could require, including coffee machine, television and fridge which stays on 24 hours a day, regardless of the weather!

during the last couple of weeks, when i have felt overwhelmed by the demands of mothering my three children, all of whom are needy, and deserving of attention in their own ways, my younger two have been cared for, by relatives and friends alike.  i have been able to relax (just a little!) where they are concerned, knowing that they are being loved and appreciated and well cared for - by someone other than me - and that i can focus my energies and emotions upon the squeakiest wheel of the lot.  i feel really blessed that my kids have so many caring and functional adults in their lives, and are not entirely dependant on me for their physical, emotional and spiritual health.

i am living a sometimes unendurable nightmare, but throughout it all i am held, supported and cared for, and for this i am truly grateful.

No comments: